In order to improve road safety and eliminate unconsciousness of the citizens, Cyprus introduced new provisions regarding the Road Traffic Offences which came into effect the 1st of October 2020.
Firstly, the amended legislation refers to new penalties for which, no provision was made in the past.
- Without a third-party insurance – Penalty of €200
- Without an MOT for buses or heavy motor vehicle truck – Penalty of €300
- Without an MOT for driving any other type of vehicle – Penalty of €150
- An immobilized vehicle – Penalty of €85
DRIVERS UNDER SUPERVISION
- If a driver’s license gets revoked or refused, the driver is put under supervision for 3 years. During the above period the driver is bound by stricter penalties and limits than those that generally apply.
TOWING OF VEHICLES IN THE FOLLOWING CASES
- The vehicle is illegally and/or dangerously parked or abandoned in any street or it is obstructing traffic
- The vehicle’s owner cannot be located/contacted or refuses to move it
IMPOUNDING OF VEHICLES IN THE FOLLOWING CASES
- No valid third-party insurance is in place
- Driver is under the influence of alcohol
- Driver refuses to provide breath sample for alcohol test
Secondly, the amended legislation refers to the Increase of existing penalties.
SPEED LIMIT VIOLATION
- Up to 30% of speed limit – €2 per Km and 1 penalty point
- Up to 50% of speed limit – €3 per Km and 2 penalty points
- Up to 75% of speed limit – €5 per Km and 3 penalty points
- Over 75% of speed limit – referral to court
DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL
- Breath Alcohol Concentration 22-35 mg/100 ml – fine of €125 and 1 penalty point
- Breath Alcohol Concentration 36-55 mg/100 m l – fine of €250 and 3 penalty point
- Breath Alcohol Concentration 56-70 mg/100 ml – fine of €500 and 4 penalty point
- >71 mg/100 ml- referral to court
NEW AND PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS
- Breath Alcohol Concentration 9-22 mg/100 ml – fine of €125 and 1 penalty point
- Breath Alcohol Concentration 23-35 mg/100 ml – fine of €250 and 3 penalty point
- Breath Alcohol Concentration 36-55 mg/100 ml – fine of €500 and 4 penalty point
- >56 mg/100 ml – referral to court
DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ILLICIT DRUGS
- Imprisonment not exceeding 3 years and/or
- Fine not exceeding €8.000 euro or
- Driver’s license revocation or refusal for a period not exceeding 3 years
DRIVING WITHOUT A DRIVER’S LICENSE
- Driving without a valid driver’s license (expiry) – Fine of €50
- Reckless driving – 6 months imprisonment and/or fine of €1.500
- Reckless driving causing property damage – 1 year imprisonment and/or fine of €3.000
- Reckless driving causing personal injury – 2 years imprisonment and/or fine of €6.000
FLEEING THE SCENE OF A ROAD CRASH
- Hit-and-run (death) – Imprisonment for a maximum period of 5 years and/or fine not exceeding €15.000 and driving license revocation for a period not exceeding 2 years from the date of the conviction
- Hit-and-run (personal injury) – Imprisonment for a maximum period of 2 years and/or fine not exceeding €10.000 and driving license revocation for a period not exceeding 2 years from the date of the conviction
- Hit-and-run (property damage) – Imprisonment for a maximum period of 1 month and/or fine not exceeding €3.000 and driving license revocation for a period not exceeding 2 months from the date of the conviction
- On a pavement – Fine of €100
- At reserved spots for the disabled – Fine of €300
- On the opposite side of the road – Fine of €100
- On a double yellow line – Fine of €100
TRAFFIC LIGHT VIOLATION – Fine of €300
- On a pedestrian crossing – Fine of €200
- Illegal overtaking – Fine of €150
Thirdly, the amended legislation refers to the Doubling of Penalties.
- Without a seat-belt – Fine of €150 and offence repetition within 3 years – €300
- Without a helmet – Fine of €200 and offence repetition within 3 years – €400
- Distracted driving (use of mobile phone) – Fine of €150 and offence repetition within 3 years- 300€
- Distracted driving (use of other objects) – Fine of €85 and there is no offence repetition within 3 years
Lastly, extension of payment deadline for fines over €100 should be paid within 30 days from the issue date otherwise the amount will be increased by 50%.
In case of non-payment after a period of 45 days from the issue date, the person will be liable for prosecution.
Source: Agp Law
Photo Credits: Shutterstock
Contact Us Now
Our customer service team will be very happy to answer any questions you have about Car Rentals Cyprus therefore please do not hesitate to get in touch by phone, email or post.
Address: Shop 1, Central Park Residences, 6 April 1st Street 8011, Paphos Cyprus
Support Phone: +357 26 945222
E mails: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8am – 6.00pm