The weather in autumn is often unpredictable. A beautiful, sunny afternoon can convert into rainy and cold in minutes. The days are getting shorter; we are often going home from work in dark. But of course there are pleasant things too, such as the warm, the colorful foliage of the trees, the comfortable sweaters. There are also many dangers on the road in autumn. See below our Cyprus car rental driving tips.
What Makes Autumn Driving Dangerous?
The children: school starts again, which means that more car and bus are on the road. Because of the increased traffic the drivers have to pay attention more especially during the morning and afternoon.
The rainy weather: In the first couple of weeks the rain is very dangerous because there are lots of dust and oil on the road and the sidewalk, which makes it extremely slippery.
Leaves:the autumn foliage is nice, but when the leaves begin to fall off and accumulate on the road, it may be inconvenient, because it’s difficult to see the markings on the road, or on the sidewalk. If even the rain falls, the car can easy slip on the wet leaves.
The fog: Fog often accurate on cold autumn mornings, it limits the visibility distance. In most cases, the fog occurs on low-lying places, or around the hills. The drivers often ignore it and drive in normal weather conditions. If we drive in the fog, slow down and leave more following distance behind the vehicle in front, so if we need, we can safely stop at any time.
Frost: in autumn the temperature drops dramatically at night, which can lead frost and icy spots on the road. This is especially common on bridges, overpasses and around shady areas.
The sun glare: glare of the sun in any season can cause inconveniences for motorists. If we blinded by the bright light, a few seconds we can’t see well, so it is difficult to see pedestrians, cyclists or oncoming traffic. There can also be a problem if the sun is going down behind a car, in this case the light is refracted through the rear-view mirrors or reflected on traffic lights, and this is enough to make your eyes into illusion.
Deer: the autumn is deer’s period; it’s the time for mating and migration. If we are moving in an area where there are also deer-damage signs, we have to pay attention to the salient animals, especially when we drive at night. An accident can make the car to total loss, not to mention the fact that a large animal can cause serious injury to passengers.
Pay Attention For These When Driving In The Autumn
- Check your speed – rather move a little slower, especially when there are school bus or school in the area.
- Keep a sufficient following distance: leave a little more space than usual. Mostly rainy, foggy weather, at dawn and dusk and in areas with wet leaves may occur.
- Use of the dipped-beam headlamps: Set low, highly luminous headlights can cause glare.
- If there was frost during the night: remove their signs from the windows, it reduce visibility.
- Approach the traffic lights with caution: due to the sunlight it’s more difficult to see when it turns.
- Clean the windscreen, both inside and outside: when the sun lights on the windscreen, dust, streaks and spots become more visible, which makes difficult to view.
- Pay attention to the animals: particularly in the early morning and evening hours.
- Check the tire pressure: The autumn weather is changing rapidly, the heat will be cold, the tire pressure changes frequently – narrow, expand. This can cause a loss of pressure.
- Check the wiper blades and level of washer fluid
- Check the headlights, the rear lights, the turn signals – it’s important to work properly
Via Rent Auto Rent